GONAF – the borehole Geophysical Observatory at the North Anatolian Fault in the eastern Sea of Marmara
- 1GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences, Section 4.2 “Geomechanics and Rheology”, Potsdam, 14473, Germany
- 2Free University Berlin, Department of Earth Sciences, Berlin, 12249, Germany
- 3AFAD Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency, Earthquake Department Ankara, 06510, Turkey
- 4Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC), Yokohama, 236-0001, Japan
- 5UNAVCO, Boulder, Colorado 80301, USA
Abstract. The Marmara section of the North Anatolian Fault Zone (NAFZ) runs under water and is located less than 20 km from the 15-million-person population center of Istanbul in its eastern portion. Based on historical seismicity data, recurrence times forecast an impending magnitude M>7 earthquake for this region. The permanent GONAF (Geophysical Observatory at the North Anatolian Fault) has been installed around this section to help capture the seismic and strain activity preceding, during, and after such an anticipated event.